Category: General

Announcing Our New Company Name

Nolan Elder Law, LLC has changed its name to “The Alabama Elder Care Law Firm, LLC”!

Questions You Need to Ask If Your Parents Are Running Out of Money

When money is running out, it’s important to ask your parents these questions. Have this conversation as early as you can, as Medicaid applications take time and can be stressful. 

Why It’s Important to Have a Lawyer Draft Your Mom’s POAs

A power of attorney (POA) is an important legal form that allows someone else to make medical or financial decisions.

Prenups and Nursing Home Expenses

Prenups and Nursing Home Expenses

Many people have a vague idea what a prenuptial agreement (or prenup) is and what it is designed to accomplish. While they can be necessary for younger first marriages, they are often indispensable for 2nd marriages.

Should Your Parents Update Their Wills?

Do your parents have a will? If not, it’s time for them to address it.

Caring for Elderly Loved Ones: 5 Reasons to Hire a Geriatric Case Manager

A geriatric case manager (GCM) is a social worker or licensed nurse specially trained in various fields of human services. GCMs have the experience to assess, plan, coordinate, monitor, and provide services for elderly clients and their family or caregivers. A GCM develops a plan of care based on identified needs, by performing an assessment…
Read more

How the Grinch (Medicaid) Stole Christmas (and Hanukkah and birthdays and weddings and everything else!)

Tis the season for gift-giving! One of a parent’s (or grandparent’s) greatest sources of pleasure is to make a gift to a child or grandchild. Whether the gifts are holiday gifts or wedding or birthday gifts, “helping out” is something seniors take great pride in. Even if their world is growing smaller due to health…
Read more

So, you think you (or your parent) have a good Power of Attorney?

Not so fast! You probably already know what a Power of Attorney is designed to accomplish. It will allow a named person, called the Agent, to conduct financial transactions for someone else, called the Principal. This includes buying and selling cars, real property and investment assets. It also includes the ability to open safe deposit…
Read more

My Mom is acting CRAZY! What Can I do??

Imagine this scenario: Your mother, who is 80 years old and a widow, has suddenly started spending money recklessly. She is paranoid of you and your efforts to rein in her behavior. She is not taking the medicine that her doctor has prescribed or she won’t go to the doctor at all.  She is, in…
Read more

Back to Basics

In an effort to delay the ravages of aging, I have recently started taking tennis lessons. While I did play some tennis back in college, it has been over 30 years since I picked up a racquet, so I decided that I would start from the beginning and take lessons like I had never played…
Read more